Karoon: Kangaroo-2 flows more oil (Brazil)
- Exploration & Production
Karoon Gas Australia Ltd’s Kangaroo-2 appraisal well, located in exploration Block S-M-1165, off Brazil, confirmed a 250 metre gross (135 metre net) oil column in Paleocene and Maastrichtian aged reservoirs, as announced on November 26, 2014.
The company says that as at 0600 hrs AEST on January 6, 2015, production testing over the Paleocene A, B and C oil bearing reservoirs was complete. Preparations are underway to start a side-track program to better define the resource size and recovery factors.
Karoon is the operator and has a 65% interest in the jointly held Block S-M-1165, Santos Basin, Brazil. Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp holds the remaining 35% interest.
The results from the test are as follows:
Oil Flow Rate
Production test DST-2A was conducted in the Paleocene A, B and C sandstone reservoirs over the intervals 1,663- 1,681 mRT, 1,695-1,729 mRT and 1,735-1,753 mRT with a 12 hour main flow period. The maximum oil flow rate attained was 3,700 stb/d (stabilised rate of 3,450 stb/d) through an 88/64” choke with a flowing tubing head pressure of 270 psia, a gas-oil-ratio of 540 scf/stb.
Production test DST-2 was conducted in the Paleocene C sandstone reservoir over the interval 1,735- 1,753 mRT. The maximum oil flow rate attained was 2,500 stb/d through a 44/64” choke with a flowing tubing head pressure of 425 psia and a gas-oil-ratio of 450 scf/stb. The well was then flowed on a 40/64” choke at a stabilised rate of 1,820 stb/d with a flowing tubing head pressure of 420 psia, a gas-oil-ratio of 450 scf/stb. At the end of a main 24 hour flow period, the well was shut-in for a 48 hour pressure build-up period.
DST-2A produced a 33° API oil with zero CO2, H2S, water or sand produced. DST-2 produced a 31° API oil with zero CO2, H2S, water or sand produced.
Production Well Potential
Based on the oil rates obtained in DST-1A (Maastrichtian section) and DST-2A (Paleocene section), Managing Director, Robert Hosking said: “Karoon is very pleased with the production testing results from Kangaroo-2. Based on the flow rates achieved in both the Paleocene and Maastrichtian reservoirs, a vertical production well could produce 6,000 to 8,000 stb/d from the combined reservoirs. In addition, horizontal production wells could be expected to produce at higher rates.”
Kangaroo-2 Side-Track Program
After the well testing string is removed and the Paleocene reservoirs are plugged back with cement and a cement retainer, the well will be side-tracked in both a down-dip and up-dip location in order to better define the resource size and recovery factors, Karoon notes in the press release.
Side-track-1 will be drilled to a down-dip location to target the Paleocene and Maastrichtian reservoirs on the eastern side of an interpreted north-south trending fault, and to evaluate potential hydrocarbon accumulations in the Campanian. Wire-line logs and a pressure survey will be conducted.
Side-track-2 will be drilled into Paleocene and Maastrichtian reservoirs in an up-dip location to test reservoir and hydrocarbon potential towards the salt wall.
The company explains that the information obtained from Kangaroo-2 will be important for assessing the commerciality of the Kangaroo oil field and will be valuable for a Front End Engineering and Design (’FEED’) phase bringing the project a step closer to commerciality.
The Kangaroo-2 appraisal well is located in exploration Block S-M-1165, approximately 300 metres up-dip and 4 kilometres south of Kangaroo-1 and is the first well in the Santos Basin exploration and appraisal drilling campaign.