Damen Maritime Ventures
(Senior) Engineer Shipbuilding (DMV)
Family owned business Damen Shipyards Group has been in operation for over ninety years and offers maritime solutions worldwide, through design, shipbuilding, ship repair and related services. Damen operates 36 shipyards in 18 countries. We offer direct employment to more than 12,000 colleagues, bringing together a total production value of 1.8 billion euros and delivering 143 ships in 2020.
Damen Maritime Ventures is a new division within Damen and part of Damen’s overall efforts to drive the transformation of the shipbuilding industry and shape the future of maritime solutions. Our effective, efficient and pragmatic strategic portfolio management enables our division to maximize shareholder impact, by adding value through collaboration and pro-active engagement with and between our maritime ventures. We connect our ventures and ideas with operational expertise and world-class infrastructure. We scale the most promising ideas to deliver meaningful impact to Damen.
By setting up an ecosystem we strive to further sustain profitable growth through carefully governed meaningful (ad)ventures. By acting rapidly and agile on existing and new opportunities we can differentiate ourselves from competition and becoming leading in our selected distinct product, service and local shipbuilding markets.
Some products do not fit the Damen divisional structure but do require a project organization that can execute and build them. Within Damen Maritime Ventures we are creating an entity focusing on these products. The Cargo Vessels market is currently strong and 10 projects have been sold in recent months and we expect more will follow. In addition, products such as pontoons and perhaps more in the future, are sub-contracted to this newly created project organization entity. We are building this entity from scratch which creates various inspiring vacancies. We require (new) colleagues that are willing to help each other, go the extra mile, think across their own discipline, jump-in for assistance as needed. A “start-up” that requires a can-do mentality. Do apply when this (ad)venture triggers the positive energy in you!
As (Senior) Engineer Shipbuilding you have several years’ experience. You are looking for the next step in your career. Within the operations team you will be part of an engineering team and steering a small number of subcontractors which prepares the Basic and Detail Engineering package. You will be able to work in different fields of your expertise and over time develop even beyond.
The Engineering department is responsible for the development of the Basic Engineering package including Class and Client approvals, management of Detail Engineering partners and production support. We want to build a long term stable team of engineering experience.
- Work out design, specifications, detail- and work drawings within the specified procedures and standards
- Register and archive designs, drawings and project-related information
- Structural design and the integration of steel outfitting and structures, such as hull doors, stairs, etc.
- Drawing up, among other things, of construction plans and deck arrangements
- Carry out calculations for further elaboration of weights, stability and structures in the shipbuilding area
- Performing feasibility and risk analyzes on the initial design
- Production of order lists and preparation of technical specifications for purchase orders based on the specifications and planning
- Support in client, Class and national authorities? approval process
- Support in coordination of outsourced work to subcontractors.
- Quality consciousness and a practical approach is with you as an Engineer in your blood. You are proactive, creative and working accurately. In addition, you meet the following features:
- Bachelor's degree in the field of Shipbuilding or Maritime Engineering
- 1 or 2 years relevant work experience
- Good communication skills in Dutch and English
- An interest in innovation and an open mindset to new technologies
- Experience with software packages like AutoCAD, Rhino and Nupas-Cadmatic
- Experience with Maxsurf or Siemens NX (FEM) would be a plus.
- You enjoy working in a team, are effective at planning and organizing, willing to learn new skills sets, and you are results focused
- Excellent command of the Dutch and English language
- Availability of 32-40 hours per week
At Damen we realize that supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That is why we continuously invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation
- a competitive salary
- at least 40 days of annual leave
- profit sharing & pension allowance
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy
- an active social environment such as events and sports
You can work from our office in Drachten or in Gorinchem.
If you have any questions please contact Gerard Eggink ([email protected]).