Photo: Source: Pixabay

Eni and Total win new blocks offshore Angola

Italian oil major Eni and French giant Total were among the successful bidders for two offshore blocks offered as part of Angola’s 2019 licensing round, which offered ten offshore blocks. 

The ten blocks that were on offer are located in the Namibe and Benguela basins, but the awarded blocks are all in the Namibe basin.

Angola’s National Agency of Petroleum, Gas and Biofuels (ANPG) said on Wednesday that Eni had won operatorship of Block 28 and Total of Block 29, both located in the Namibe basin.

Eni’s stake in the block is 60%, Angola’s Sonangol won 20%, while the remaining 20% is still available.

In a separate statement on Friday, Eni said that Block 28 is located in a frontier exploration area some tens of km from the coastline, with water depth ranging between 1000 and 2500 m. According to Eni, the remaining 20% in the block will be assigned to a third partner during the closing of the contract.

Eni has been present in Angola since 1980 and currently accounts an equity production of about 145,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

On the other hand, Total got a 46% interest in Block 29 with Equinor, Sonangol, and BP as its partners with 24.5%, 20%, and 9.5% interests, respectively.

Angola’s state-owned Sonangol also got operatorship of Block 27. Sonangol’s awarded interest is 35% while the other 65% is still available.

The ANPG said that the date and place for the start of negotiation process for each block would be communicated soon.

Offshore Energy Today Staff


Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email.

Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product, or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.

Related news

List of related news articles