North Sea strike talks to continue next week
Following last week’s suspension of industrial action by Wood Group’s workers on seven North Sea platforms to allow talks between the company and workers’ unions, the ‘constructive discussions’ will continue next week.
After two strike actions on Shell’s seven North Sea platforms due to a dispute over proposed cuts on pay and allowances, the further industrial action was suspended last week to allow for fresh talks between Wood Group and two trade unions in the UK, the RMT, and Unite.
The platforms involved include the Brent Alpha, Bravo and Charlie platforms, Gannet, Nelson, Shearwater and Curlew. The workers carry out maintenance and repair on these platforms.
In a joint statement by Wood Group and the two unions, issued on Thursday, August 18, 2016, it has been said:
“Wood Group and the Unite and RMT unions have held two full days of constructive discussions which will continue next week.”
The statement further said: “These talks, which are allowing all parties to bring ideas to the table, involved union officials, offshore shop stewards and Wood Group management. These collaborative discussions have demonstrated a clear, shared understanding of the issues being raised by all parties, plus the challenges facing the North Sea.
“We remain focused on reaching a mutually acceptable outcome, which demonstrates collective leadership in shaping the future of the North Sea.”
The statement did not provide further information about the progress made during the talks which are meant to settle the dispute.
In the statement, the trio reiterated that “to facilitate open and honest discussions, neither Wood Group nor the unions will make any public statements in relation to this matter”.
Offshore Energy Today Staff