Repsol finds oil offshore Gabon

Spanish oil company Repsol has encountered oil offshore Gabon with the Ivela-1 exploration well.

The Ivela-1 exploration well is located in the Lower Congo Basin, in Luna Muetse (E13) Block which has a net surface area of 1,200 km2.

Repsol is the operator of the offshore block with a 60% interest and Australia’s Woodside is its partner with the remaining 40% interest.

Repsol started drilling the Ivela-1 well at the end of January 2018 using the Seadrill-owned West Capella drillship. Woodside said on Wednesday that the well intersected a 78 m gross oil column and the assessment is ongoing.

The well was completed during the first quarter of the year. Water depth at the site is 2,665 meters.

The West Capella is a 6th generation ultradeepwater drillship of Samsung 10,000 design, built by Samsung Heavy Industries in 2008. Back in March Repsol awarded a contract to the West Capella drillship for one exploration well offshore Aruba. The rig will start drilling off Aruba in June after completing the current contract with Repsol in Gabon.

Offshore Energy Today Staff

Related news

List of related news articles