Six Candidates in the Race for IMO Top Position
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has received the nominations of six candidates, proposed by their respective governments for the position of the Secretary-General of the IMO.
The deadline for nominations was set on the 31st of March 2015.
The present incumbent, Mr. Koji Sekimizu, ends his four-year term as Secretary-General on 31st of December 2015.
The election for the post will be held at the 114th session of the 40-Member strong IMO Council, which meets from 29nth of June to 3rd of July 2015. The decision of the Council is subject to approval of the IMO Assembly, which will vote on the candidate during the session scheduled to take place from 23rd of November to 2nd of December 2015.
The nominated candidates are as follows:
- Mr. Andreas Chrysostomou, Republic of Cyprus
- Mr. Vitaly Klyuev, Russian Federation
- Mr. Ki-tack Lim, Republic of Korea
- Dr. Maximo Q. Mejia Jr., Republic of the Philippines
- Mr. Andreas Nordseth, Kingdom of Denmark
- Mr. Juvenal Shiundu, Republic of Kenya