Suncor gains nod for North Sea wildcat

  • Exploration & Production

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted Suncor Energy Norge AS a drilling permit for well 25/10-14 S, in the central North Sea. 

According to the NPD, the well 25/10-14 S will be drilled from the Borgland Dolphin semi-submersible drilling rig.

The drilling program for well 25/10-14 S concerns the drilling of a wildcat well in production licence 571. Suncor Energy Norge AS is the operator with an ownership interest of 60 per cent. The other licensee is Statoil Petroleum AS with 40 per cent.

The area in this licence consists of parts of blocks 25/7 and 25/10. Production licence 571 was awarded on February 4, 2011 (APA 2010). This is the second exploration well to be drilled in the licence, but exploration wells have previously been drilled within the area covered by this licence.

The directorate adds that the permit is contingent upon the operator having secured all other permits and consents required by other authorities before the drilling starts.

[mappress mapid=”2621″]

Related news

List of related news articles