Aker BP gains drilling permit for North Sea wildcat

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate has granted a drilling permit for a wildcat well in the North Sea to oil and gas player Aker BP.

Deepsea Stavanger; Source: PSA

The well 25/2-20 is located in production license 442, where Aker BP is the operator with an ownership interest of 90.26 percent. The other licensee is Lotos with a 9.74 percent stake.

It will be drilled by the Deepsea Stavanger drilling rig after completing the drilling of wildcat well 15/6-16 S for Aker BP in production license 777.

The NPD said that the area in this license consisted of parts of blocks 25/2 and 25/3. The well will be drilled some 20 kilometers east of the Frigg field.

Production license 442 was awarded on June 15, 2007 (APA 2006). This is the eighth exploration well to be drilled in the license.

As for the rig, the Deepsea Stavanger is a semi-submersible mobile drilling rig of the GVA 7500 type, built by Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering in South Korea.

The rig is owned and operated by Odfjell Drilling and received Acknowledgement of Compliance (AoC) from the PSA in 2017.

It is worth noting that Aker BP drilled a dry well earlier this month using the Deepsea Stavanger.

Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by more than 10.000 industry professionals daily.

We had almost 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas.

These stats allow our partners advertising on Offshore Energy Today to get maximum exposure to their online campaigns. If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options.

Related news

List of related news articles