BP, Shell jointly bid for shallow water acreage off Trinidad & Tobago

BP has informed that it has together with Shell filed a bid for offshore acreage in Trinidad and Tobago.

Source: BP

“BPTT today submitted a joint bid with Shell for the 2018 Shallow Water Competitive Bid Licensing Round,” BP’s subsidiary, BP Trinidad and Tobago, said on Monday.

The shallow water bid round contains six offshore shallow water blocks, namely, Block 4(c), Block U(c), Lower Reverse L, NCMA 2, NCMA 3, and Block 1(b), located off the eastern, northern and western coasts of Trinidad.

The round was opened on November 8, 2018, and ran for six months. The deadline for submission of bids was noon, May 20, 2019.

According to the Trinidad & Tobago Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries, successful bids will be announced six months following the close of bidding.

BP’s Regional President Claire Fitzpatrick said: “The decision to bid highlights our intent to continue to seek out opportunities to develop resources in the Columbus Basin. It also demonstrates our confidence in the potential of the Basin.”

BP is the country’s largest oil and gas producer, with 13 offshore production platforms. About 65 per cent of BP’s natural gas produced in Trinidad is exported as LNG – the major portion of which goes to the United States. The other 35 per cent is sold for use as fuel or feedstock for local industry.

Blocks made available as part of the bidding round
Blocks made available as part of the bidding round

Offshore Energy Today Staff

Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email.

Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by over 10,000 industry professionals daily. We had nearly 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas and allows our partners to get maximum exposure for their online campaigns. 

If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options.