Equinor cleared to take Odfjell Drilling semi-sub rig to Norwegian Sea

Equinor cleared to take Odfjell Drilling semi-sub rig to Norwegian Sea

Norway’s state-owned energy giant Equinor has received clearance from the Norwegian Offshore Directorate (NOD) to drill a wellbore in the Norwegian Sea using an Odfjell Drilling rig.

Deepsea Atlantic. Source: Odfjell Drilling

The NOD has granted Equinor a drilling permit for wellbore 6610/7-3 in production license 1014, which was awarded on March 1, 2019, and is valid until the same day in 2028.

The drilling of the wildcat well will be carried out using the Deepsea Atlantic semi-submersible rig. The permit was approved on July 10, while the planned entry date for the drilling is October.

Equinor is the operator of the production license and holds an 80% stake, with its partner being OKEA, holding the remaining 20%.

The 2009-built Deepsea Atlantic is a sixth-generation deepwater and harsh environment semi-submersible, dual derrick, dynamic-positioned rig of enhanced GVA 7500 design.

Last July, Odfjell Drilling signed contracts related to the two letters of intent from March 2023 for the rig with Equinor to conduct operations in the North Sea region.

Related Article

The contracts have a combined firm duration of 23 months and a value of approximately $290 million, excluding integrated services, upgrades/modifications or mobilization fees, and also include provisions for performance bonuses and fuel incentives.