Photo: Transocean Barents rig; Source: Equinor

Equinor in two oil discoveries offshore Canada

Norwegian oil and gas company Equinor has made two oil discoveries offshore Newfoundland, Canada.

Newfoundland map - Equinor
Newfoundland map; Source: Equinor

Equinor is the operator of the two wells with a 60 per cent interest and its partner is BP Canada with the remaining 40 per cent interest.

Equinor said on Thursday that the two wells at the Cappahayden and Cambriol prospects, drilled this summer in the Flemish Pass Basin, have proven the presence of hydrocarbons.

However, it is too early to provide specific information on volumes, the Norwegian company added.

Paul McCafferty, Equinor’s senior vice president for international offshore exploration, said: “We are pleased to have made two discoveries offshore Newfoundland.

“The results are a testament to the hard work and dedication of our team, who have executed a safe campaign with positive results – particularly considering the unique challenges faced during the COVID-19 pandemic”.

The wells, drilled by the semi-submersible drilling rig, Transocean Barents, are located approximately 500 km east of St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Cappahayden well has a water depth of about 1,000 metres and the Cambriol well has a depth of 600 metres.

As part of the 2020 exploration campaign, Equinor has also drilled a top-hole at the Sitka prospect.

Related news

List of related news articles