MMT Installs Kongsberg EM2040 Echo Sounder on Its Multi-Purpose Vessel
MMT Group has acquired a Kongsberg EM2040D.
A 0.4 x 0.7 degree dual head multibeam system has recently been installed on MMT’s long term charted multipurpose support vessel (MPSV) Stril Explorer.
This is a highly developed multibeam echo sounder that combines all of the advanced features of deepwater echo sounders to the shallower water or ROV/AUV environment. Such features include:
- Dual swath per ping to maintain a high survey speed at maintained resolution.
- FM chirp to achieve a much longer range capability
- Complete roll, pitch and yaw stabilization
- Near-field focusing both when transmitting and receiving
Typical applications for the EM 2040 Multibeam echo sounder
- Mapping of harbours, inland waterways and shipping channels with critical keel clearance
- Inspection of underwater infrastructure
- Detection and mapping of debris and other underwater objects
- Detailed surveys related to underwater construction work or dredging
- Environmental seabed and habitat mapping
- Mapping of biomass in the water column
By owning and operating an EM2040 dual head on Stril Explorer, MMT is further prepared to perform surveys that meet the IHO-S44 special order and fulfills the requirement for high resolution pipeline inspection. This investment has advanced MMT’s surveying operations and it supports MMT Group’s standing as a unique and highly advanced competitor in the marine surveying field.
Press release, March 25, 2014; Image: MMT