Naming Ceremony for Two Ocean Rig UDW’s Drillships Takes Place in SHI Shipyard (South Korea)
- Business & Finance
Ocean Rig UDW announces that the naming ceremony of the company’s drillship no. 3 and 4, the Ocean Rig Poseidon and Ocean Rig Mykonos took place at the Samsung Heavy Industries shipyard in Korea on July 8th.
Ocean Rig owns and operates Leiv Eiriksson and Eirik Raude, two of the world’s largest and most modern drilling rigs, built for ultra deep water and extreme weather conditions.
On January 3 2011 the Company took delivery of the new build drillship Ocean Rig Corcovado, and on March 30 2011 the second drillship Ocean Rig Olympia was delivered from Samsung Heavy Industries in Korea.
Ocean Rig’s drillships are based upon the Saipem 10K design. They are a successful and well proven design complete with full dual derrick enhancements to ensure optimal operational efficiency.
• Water depth capacity of 10,000 feet
• Variable deck load of 20,000 tonnes
• Transit speed of 12 knots
• Dynamic positioning system – Kongsberg DP Class 3
• Vessel power of 6 x 8,000 KW STX diesel engines
• Thruster capacity 6 x 5,500 KW
• Dual drilling package to enable drilling operations in Main & Aux well
• Five (5) x 14-P-220 HP Mud Pumps
Source: Ocean Rig, July 13, 2011;