Norway: Det norske strikes oil at Langfjellet prospect
Norwegian oil firm Det norske oljeselskap ASA has made an oil discovery in the Norwegian part of the North Sea.
The oil company, operator of PL 442, said Wednesday that that drilling of exploration well 25/2-18 S on the Langfjellet prospect in the North Sea was about to be completed.
“The well encountered a gross oil column of 109 meters in the Vestland Group. A technical sidetrack was drilled to collect data and the well is currently being prepared for a sidetrack and welltest,” Det norske said.
Preliminary volume calculations for the discovery are in the range of 24 to 74 million barrels of oil equivalent. The licensees will assess the discovery with regards to a potential development together with other discoveries in the area.
Following the successful drilling results at Langfjellet, the licensees have identified further prospectivity within the license, Det norske added. The well was drilled using the Maersk Interceptor jack-up rig.
Det norske is the operator and holds a 90 percent working interest in PL442. LOTOS Exploration and Production Norge holds the remaining 10 percent. Det norske took over the operatorship over PL 442 from Centrica in a deal made in April.