Ocean Rig Takes Delivery of its Second Drillship from Samsung Heavy Industries, South Korea
- Business & Finance
On March 30th, the company’s second drillship, Ocean Rig Olympia was delivered from the SHI Shipyard in Korea. Ocean Rig Olympia is now mobilizing to Ghana for her first contract.
Naming Ceremony for the Company’s second drillship took place at the Samsung Heavy Industries Shipyard in Korea on December 16th,2010. Godmother of Ocean Rig Olympia is Olga Plaksina, Chairperson of the Group Executive Board of Vanco.
Ocean Rig’s drillships are based upon the Saipem 10K design. They are a successful and well proven design complete with full dual derrick enhancements to ensure optimal operational efficiency. The first vessel was delivered to Ocean Rig on 3 January 2011 and the other two vessels are scheduled for delivery 29 July and 30 September 2011.
• Water depth capacity of 10,000 feet
• Variable deck load of 20,000 tonnes
• Transit speed of 12 knots
• Dynamic positioning system – Kongsberg DP Class 3
• Vessel power of 6 x 8,000 KW STX diesel engines
• Thruster capacity 6 x 5,500 KW
• Dual drilling package to enable drilling operations in Main & Aux well
• Five (5) x 14-P-220 HP Mud Pumps
Source:Ocean Rig, April 1, 2011;