PETRONAS: First Oil Flows from Bukit Tua Field in Indonesia
PETRONAS achieved the first oil from the Bukit Tua field in Indonesia, on 17 May 2015.
PETRONAS’ General Manager and Country Chairman of Indonesia Operations, Hazli Sham Kassim said, “We are proud that the Bukit Tua field has come on stream today and this is PETRONAS’ biggest upstream project in Indonesia, so far.”
“This upstream project is an integrated development as it also involves the development of other supporting facilities such as Ratu Nusantara Floating Production, Storage and Offloading facility (FPSO), a 110 km subsea pipeline and a 4.7 ha onshore receiving facility (ORF),” he added.
Located in the Ketapang Block approximately 110km offshore East Java, the Bukit Tua field is expected to produce 3,700 barrels of oil per day (bopd) and 2 million standard cubic feet of gas per day (mmscfd) in its initial production stage. Upon ramping up the field, the production will increase gradually before reaching its peak production capacity of 20,000 bopd of oil and 50 mmscfd of gas, the company informed.
The gas produced from the field will be transported through a pipeline to the ORF in Gresik, East Java while the oil will be offloaded to carriers for export.
Petrogas Jatim Utama, owned by the East Java provincial government, has signed gas sales and purchase agreement with PETRONAS whereby it will purchase the gas produced from the field for electricity generation to meet Indonesia’s energy demand.
The Ketapang block is operated by Indonesian Subsidiary of PETRONAS, PC Ketapang II Ltd (PCK2L) with an 80% interest in the block. The remaining 20% is held by state-owned Perusahaan Gas Negara through its subsidiary PT Saka Ketapang Perdana.