Statoil picks up drilling permit for Mim wildcat

  • Exploration & Production

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted Statoil Petroleum a drilling permit for wellbore 6507/3-12, in the Norwegian Sea. 

The wellbore 6507/3-12 will be drilled from the Deepsea Bergen semi-submersible drilling rig. The Norwegian Sea prospect where the exploration well will be drilled is named Mim.

The drilling program for wellbore 6507/3-12 relates to the drilling of a wildcat well in production license 159 B.

The company received consent from the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) to drill the well with the Deepsea Bergen drilling rig at the end of December.

Statoil Petroleum is the operator of the production license with an ownership interest of 85 percent. The other licensee is Dong E&P Norge with 15 percent. The area in this license consists of a part of block 6507/3. The well will be drilled about 11 kilometers southwest of the Norne field.

Production license 159 was awarded in licensing round 12 Part B on the Norwegian shelf and production license 159 B was carved out on August 13, 2004.

On Tuesday, Statoil made an oil discovery northwest of the Norne field in the Cape Vulture prospect.

Related news

List of related news articles