Elba Island LNG unit #8 gets FERC permit

The United States Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) issued a permit to Kinder Morgan units to continue the commissioning process at the Elba Island LNG project near Savannah, Georgia.

Elba Island LNG unit #8 gets FERC permit
Image courtesy of Kinder Morgan

FERC said in its notice that it granted a permit to Elba Liquefaction Company and Southern LNG Company to introduce mixed refrigerant to the moveable modular liquefaction system (MMLS) #8.

The approval was based on the commission’s inspection of the facilities. It also issued the permit following the review of the information filed in April and May, 2020.

However, this approval does not grant the companies the authority to introduce hazardous fluids to other project facilities at the LNG terminal.

Once in full production, the project will have a total capacity of about 2.5 million tonnes per year of LNG. This is equivalent to about 350 million cubic feet per day of natural gas.

The nearly $2 billion Elba Island LNG project’s EPC contractor is IHI E&C. A 20-year contract with the Hague-based LNG giant Shell supports the project.

Kinder Morgan owns 51 percent of the Elba Liquefaction company, the developer of the Elba liquefaction project. The remaining 49 percent is owned by investment funds managed by EIG Global Energy Partners.

Related news

List of related news articles