Fresh gas discovery for Aker BP in Norwegian Sea

Fresh gas find for Aker BP in Norwegian Sea

Norwegian oil and gas company Aker BP has made a gas discovery near the Skarv field in the Norwegian Sea.

Deepsea Nordkapp rig; Source: Odfjell Drilling

Back in April 2022, Aker BP received consent for exploration drilling with Odfjell Drilling’s Deepsea Nordkapp rig in block 6507/2 in the Norwegian Sea from the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA). The well 6507/2-6 was targeting a prospect named Storjo East.

A drilling permit was secured from the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate in May 2022 for this well located in production licence 261, which was awarded in May 2000 and is valid until 12 May 2036.

Aker BP is the operator of the licence with an ownership interest of 70 per cent and the other licensee is Wintershall Dea Norge with the remaining 30 per cent. The drilling operations were planned to start in May and the water depth at the site is 336 meters.

In an update on Monday, Aker BP revealed that the drilling of the Storjo exploration well near the Skarv field was completed. This well encountered gas in several geological formations

The Norwegian player explains that the preliminary estimate of recoverable gas volume is between 25 and 80 million barrels of oil equivalent (mmboe) and a further delineation of the discovery is planned to be undertaken in 2023. 

In a separate statement, Aker BP’s partner, Wintershall Dea, confirmed the gas discovery in the Storjo prospect in the Norwegian Sea, adding that the discovery would be evaluated as a possible tie-back to the nearby Skarv field.

The company elaborates that the Skarv partners can help to prolong the lifetime of the host facilities by tying in additional discoveries like Storjo to the existing Skarv FPSO, while also securing future gas supplies to Europe.

Germany’s oil and gas player further says that “work will continue to improve the understanding of the discovery and tie-in options, as well as a possible re-entry or appraisal well in 2023.”

When it comes to Aker BP’s most recent developments, it is worth noting that the company received approval from the Norwegian authorities for its plan for the development and operation (PDO) of a field in the North Sea.

Related Article

The proposed solution enables a fast-track development with the first oil planned 18 months after PDO submission.