Hess to tie back new Gulf of Mexico oil find to Tubular Bells

U.S. oil company Hess Corporation has made an oil discovery at the Esox-1 exploration well located in Mississippi Canyon Block No. 726 in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. Hess plans to tie back the new discovery to Tubular Bells production facilities.

Tubular Bells; Source: Hess

Esox-1 is located approximately 6 miles (10 kilometers) east of the Tubular Bells production facilities. Hess said on Tuesday that the well was drilled in 4,609 feet (1,405 meters) of water and encountered approximately 191 net feet (58 meters) of high quality oil bearing Miocene reservoirs.

“We are delighted with the success of the Esox well, which demonstrates the value of our infrastructure led exploration program in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico,” CEO John Hess said.

“We expect the well to be producing in the first quarter of 2020. As a low cost tieback to existing infrastructure, Esox should generate strong financial returns.”

Hess Corporation is operator and holds 57.14% interest in Esox and its partner Chevron holds the remaining 42.86% interest.


Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email.

Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.

Related news

List of related news articles