Iran boosts oil output from Salman offshore oil field

An official at the Iranian Offshore Oil Company (IOOC) says the company has succeeded to increase crude oil production from the Salman oil field in the Persian Gulf, which Iran shares with the United Arab Emirates.

Abbas Rajab-Khani, the official in charge of the IOOC’s operations in Lavan region said on Tuesday that the production hike came after the company took steps for the development of the field, IOOC has informed through its website.
According to the official, drilling new wells and repairing inactive wells for new production were among major steps taken by the company to develop the offshore field.

Rajab-Khani said that in line with the company’s plan, three drilling rigs are currently operating in the field, drilling new wells or repairing wells that are not currently producing oil.
He said five new wells have been already drilled in the field, adding that after completion of the fifth well, production from the joint field has increased by 7,000 barrels per day.

During recent years, Iran has been taking steps to develop oil and gas fields it shares with neighboring countries, especially those located in the Persian Gulf, IOOC writes on its website.

Salman oil field is located near the Iranian island of Lavan in the Persian Gulf. About 70 percent of the field is owned by Iran and the remaining 30 percent is under ownership of the United Arab Emirates. In-place reserves of the field have been estimated at about 4.5 billion barrels, 1.6 billion barrels of which can be extracted.