Metgasco: dates set for Supreme Court hearing
Metgasco said that the dates for its Supreme Court Hearing for the dispute over the suspension of approval to drill a conventional and tight gas well in northern New South Wales have been set for 20 and 21 October 2014.
Metgasco also said that its lawyers have written to their Government counterparts, seeking the information that was denied earlier this year on the basis that it was requested prematurely. Metgasco believes the request for information regarding the suspension is no longer premature because the Government has not included the information as part of its own evidence. Metgasco is hopeful that it will get a full and complete response without the need to pursue the release of the information formally through the courts.
In parallel with the Court action, Metgasco will continue to seek an out-of-court settlement for the dispute. The discussions are confidential and without-prejudice.
Metgasco continues to argue that the Government’s suspension decision was unlawful and unjustified and has severely damaged its interests.
Metgasco’s Managing Director, Peter Henderson said “Metgasco has, in good faith, spent $120m over ten years in the Northern Rivers of NSW and has established the second largest gas resource in NSW. The Government’s actions have severely damaged investor confidence in the gas industry and resource sector in general. It is important that the poor precedent created by the suspension decision is corrected in such a way that investors can have confidence in NSW.”
Metgasco will not comment or speculate on the status or possible outcome of discussions with Government.
Press Release, August 28, 2014; Image: Metgasco