Photo: Santos FPSO solution; Source: Santos

Santos to launch Dorado FEED program in second half of 2020

Australia’s Santos expects to begin the front-end engineering design (FEED) program for the Dorado oil and gas project offshore Australia in the second half of 2020.

Carnarvon, a partner in the project, said on Thursday that the pre-FEED competition for the supply of floating production storage and offtake vessel (FPSO) for the Dorado project was well advanced with BW Offshore, Modec, and Altera – formerly Teekay.

According to the company, all three recently presented technically robust proposals are capable of fulfilling the requirements of delivering 75,000 to 100,000 barrels of oil per day.

An initial phase of oil and condensate production with gas reinjection will support the oil recovery on the project.

To remind, Santos started the competitive process for the supply of the FPSO in mid-May.

Carnarvon added that work continued on the tendering for the wellhead platform (WHP) to finalise the concept select definition for FEED to start as scheduled around the end of this quarter.

The WHP is expected to host 8 to 10 wells for the Dorado production and have the capacity to accommodate production from possible future tie backs.

It is worth adding that preparation of the offshore project proposal and field development plan is underway.

Carnarvon also stated that the FEED work would fully define the scope and plan for the project so that a final investment decision (FID) could be made in 2021, subject to business conditions.

Adrian Cook, managing director of Carnarvon, said: “I am pleased to see how much work has been completed across the multiple components of the Dorado field development. These cover the WHP, FPSO, seabed infrastructure, and production well optimisation.

Even during the current challenging conditions, the project’s design, cost estimates, and the negotiation of commercial terms have progressed, which demonstrates the exceptional characteristics of this project.

I look forward to providing further information on the important next phase of progress which will involve the formal commencement of FEED”.

Santos is the operator of the Dorado project with an 80 per cent interest and Carnarvon Petroleum holds the remaining 20 per cent.

Related news

List of related news articles