Talos: Production resumes from Helix Producer I unit in Gulf of Mexico
U.S. based oil firm Talos Energy has resumed production at the Helix Producer I vessel in the Gulf of Mexico following a mandatory two-month drydock. The vessel, which had produced 35 MBoe/d prior to the drydocking, departed the shipyard on March 7, 2019.
After a period of sea trials, production from the Phoenix complex resumed in late March, with full production rate achieved by month’s end. The shut-in of the Phoenix complex lasted 57 days, in line with previously disclosed expectations, Talos said in an update on Thursday.
The Talos-operated Phoenix complex, which consists of the Typhoon, Boris and Tornado assets, recently reached a production milestone of 40.0 thousand barrels of oil per day gross in early May following the drilling, completion, and connection of two recent subsea wells, Tornado 3 and Boris 3.
The Tornado 3 well started production in early April with a controlled production rate of 9.3 MBoe/d gross (83% oil), or approximately 4.7 MBoe/d net to Talos after royalties, which, Talos says, was slightly below previously disclosed expectations.
Talos is the operator and owns a 65% working interest, with Kosmos Energy owning the remaining 35% working interest. The Boris 3 well was brought online in the last week of April with a production rate of 8.5 MBoe/d gross (82% oil), or approximately 7.9 MBoe/d net to Talos after royalties, which, Talos says, significantly surpassed expectations. Talos is the operator and owns a 100% working interest. The combined production rate, net to Talos, of the Tornado 3 and Boris 3 wells is approximately 12.8 MBoe/d, “and compares favorably to our estimated range of 7.8 – 12.1 MBoe/d net for the two wells combined.”
As previously reported, the Helix Producer I had moved to the dry dock as regulations require that the Helix Producer-1 must go into dry dock twice during every five year period with an average non‐productive period of 45 – 60 days each time.
Talos’ President and Chief Executive Officer Timothy S. Duncan said:”… In our Phoenix complex we participated with Helix Energy Solutions in the HP-I dry-dock. The vessel has a regulatory requirement to dry-dock approximately every two and a half years, which this year happened in the first quarter and resulted in approximately 60 days of total planned downtime in the Phoenix complex. The dry-dock project also helps assure the long-term health of the HP-I, which is one of the few floating production facilities in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.
“Talos used the dry-dock time wisely, drilling and completing two new subsea wells that were immediately put into production upon the HP-I’s return to the Phoenix complex, allowing the Company to reach a production milestone, most recently producing 40.0 thousand barrels of oil per day gross through that facility.”
According to Talos, The Helix Producer I maintains continuous, 24/7 operations at water depths of over 2,300 feet. Vessel and production processes are managed by Helix and Talos employees, respectively, with an average of more than 50 personnel onboard during normal operations.
Offshore Energy Today Staff
Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email.
Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by over 10,000 industry professionals daily. We had nearly 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas and allows our partners to get maximum exposure for their online campaigns.
If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options.