UK approves Chevron’s plan for Captain EOR project

  • Project & Tenders

UK’s Oil and Gas Authority (OGA) has approved Chevron’s field development plan to progress its Captain Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) project in the Central North Sea.

Chevron made the Final Investment Decision to proceed with the first phase of the Captain EOR project back in October 2017.

Announcing the approval of the plan on Tuesday, Chevron said that, through the application of polymer injection technology, the Captain EOR project was expected to increase production and help maximize economic recovery from the field.

Production consent for Stage 1 of the EOR project advances this technology – a first on the U.K. Continental Shelf (UKCS), Chevron added.

The Captain field was discovered in 1977, in Block 13/22a located on the edge of the outer Moray Firth. The billion-barrel field achieved first production in March 1997 – over 20 years ago – thanks to technology developments in horizontal drilling and down-hole pumps.

The installation comprises a wellhead protector platform (WPP) and bridge linked platform (BLP) connected to a floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO).

Chevron North Sea holds a 85% interest and is the operator of the Captain field and Dana Petroleum holds the remaining 15% interest.

Greta Lydecker, Managing Director, Chevron Upstream Europe, said: “Operational approval of the Captain EOR project progresses the application of a technology that has demonstrated an improved recovery rate, which can now be applied to other fields and help extend the life of assets. Advanced EOR technology in the North Sea supports the U.K. government’s strategy of Maximizing Economic Recovery (MER UK) of its offshore energy resource.”

Gunther Newcombe, Director of Operations at the Oil and Gas Authority said: “We are delighted to approve the Captain Enhanced Oil Recovery Phase I Field Development Plan, which delivers part of the OGA’s EOR Strategy (2016). This is the 18th project to be sanctioned on the UKCS this year and reinforces the tremendous potential of the basin. Chevron’s investment in EOR technology, the first of this kind to be deployed in the North Sea is expected to unlock millions of extra barrels of oil, adding several years to the life of this mature asset, demonstrating strong progress towards Vision 2035.”

Deirdre Michie, Oil & Gas U.K.’s chief executive said: “Chevron’s investment in and commitment to this new technology is a great example of how companies are addressing unique, area-specific challenges that can unlock significant remaining reserves and rejuvenate existing infrastructure in the Central North Sea. In doing so, Chevron is contributing to our shared ambition to deliver Vision 2035 and add another generation of production to the UKCS.”

Related news

List of related news articles