Update: ‘Transocean Winner’ tow slower than expected

The semi-submersible drilling rig Transocean Winner is on the final approach to Broad Bay as part of the towing operation to remove it from Dalmore Bay, where it had been grounded for two weeks after having been hit by a severe storm.
According to the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s statement on Wednesday, it was likely the drilling rig would be secured on its anchors by late Wednesday afternoon. To remind, the MCA previously said the rig would reach the location on Wednesday morning.
From there Transocean, the owner of the drilling rig, plans to carry out further work to assess its condition before deciding on next moves.
A MCA verification aircraft has carried out a flight and no pollution has been detected in Broad Bay or along the track to Dalmore Bay.
The temporary exclusion zone remains in place at Dalmore Bay and there is also a 1000 meters exclusion zone at Broad Bay, MCA said.
Hugh Shaw, the Secretary of State’s Representative for Maritime Salvage and Intervention said: “The tow has taken longer than anticipated. We have been clear from the outset that we would not compromise the operation in any way so I am delighted that the 54 mile transit has been successfully completed without incident.”
[mappress mapid=”3051″]
Related news

List of related news articles