Photo: Benthic

Benthic wraps up geotechnical site investigations at Dorado field

Benthic, part of Acteon, has completed geotechnical site investigations at the Dorado field off the coast of Western Australia.

The work included geophysical and geotechnical surveys, consisting of multiple Cone Penetration Testing (CPT) and borehole locations up to 100 meters.

Benthic used its PROD2 seabed drilling and geotechnical testing system, a portable remotely operated drill that can switch between piston sampling and rotary coring, onboard the MMA Vigilant to conduct the work.

The Dorado field, located within the Bedout Sub-basin, some 150 kilometers north of Port Hedland, was discovered in 2018 and appraised a year later.

The project is a joint venture between Santos, who is the operator with an 80% interest, and Australian exploration company Carnarvon Petroleum, who holds the remaining 20%.

The final investment decision (FID) is expected in the first half of 2022 with the first production from the liquids-only phase one development by the end of 2025.

The plan to develop a more gas-intensive second phase is scheduled five or six years after the first phase becomes operational.

Earlier this year, Santos hired the Noble Tom Prosser jack-up rig to drill two exploration wells near the Dorado project said to have the potential to materially increase the aggregate development resource for the field if successful.

Related Article