BW Energy

BW Energy boosts interest in gas field off Namibia

BW Kudu Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of BW Energy, and the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (NAMCOR) have signed a farm-in and carry agreement for a block offshore Namibia.

Illustration. Source: BW Energy
Kudu map - BW Energy
Kudu map; Source: BW Energy

BW Energy said on Thursday that the agreement increases BW Kudu’s working interest in the Kudu license offshore Namibia from 56 per cent to 95 per cent. NAMCOR will retain the remaining 5 per cent working interest.

BW got hold of the initial 56 per cent in the licence back in February 2017, also through an agreement with NAMCOR.

The agreement is subject to the approvals of BW Kudu’s and NAMCOR’s boards as well as Namibian regulatory authorities.

The agreement gives NAMCOR the opportunity to acquire an additional 5 per cent working interest post first gas, while BW Kudu will pay $4 million at the completion of the transaction and carry NAMCOR’s share of development costs until first gas.

Carl K. Arnet, the CEO of BW Energy, said: “Kudu gas is an important project for the energy sector and for Namibia. It has the potential to provide a valuable contribution to Namibia’s energy mix and local value creation by monetizing stranded gas which is an untapped natural resource in Namibia.

Arnet added: “The next step for the Kudu joint venture will be to secure long-term commercial gas sales agreements, update the development plan to meet offtake needs and ensure robust financial project returns”.

The Kudu gas field is located about 130 km offshore the southern parts of Namibia. It contains an estimated 1.3 TCF of gas (P 50) and was discovered in 1974.

BW Energy explained that the new arrangement will enable gas sales arrangements and increases the likelihood of securing financing for the upstream Kudu development.

NAMCOR’s Managing Director, Immanuel Mulunga, said the Kudu project may become the first-ever oil and gas development offshore Namibia: “It represents an opportunity to reduce carbon emissions and strengthen energy independence for Namibia, which currently imports a major part of its electricity from coal-fired power plants outside of the country.

“I am confident this development will inspire increased exploration initiatives in other licence areas in the country.”

Arnet added: “Developing Kudu will provide insights which can be used to unlock similar abundant stranded gas reserves available around the world. Adding cost-efficient gas to the energy mix of tomorrow is going to be vital to reach the world’s environmental targets”.