ExxonMobil spuds first Liberia well

Oil giant ExxonMobil started drilling operations on the Mesurado-1 exploration well offshore Liberia on Tuesday, November 22, 2016.

According to Canadian Overseas Petroleum Limited (COPL), an international oil and gas exploration and development company and a partner in the project, Exxon is utilizing Seadrill’s 2014-built drillship West Saturn.

The well, targeting oil in Late Cretacous sands, is the first well operated by ExxonMobil offshore Liberia. It is located about 50 miles offshore Liberia on Block LB-13 in approximately 2500 meters of water. The well will also provide calibration for the seismic response which can be used to evaluate other leads on the block.

The drilling operations were originally slated for 2014 but the company was forced to postpone its drilling plans due to Ebola outbreak. The oil giant declared an intention to carry on with its drilling plans off Liberia in October this year following the end of the outbreak.

ExxonMobil acquired an 80 percent stake in LB-13 back in 2013 from Canadian Overseas Petroleum and later increased its interest to 83 percent. The remaining 17% is held by COPL’s 100% owned subsidiary, Canadian Overseas Petroleum (Bermuda) Limited.

Offshore Energy Today Staff

Related news

List of related news articles