Iberdrola USA Foundation Announces Energy and Environment Scholarship Recipients
The Iberdrola USA Foundation, in conjunction with Fundacion Iberdrola of Spain and Scottish Power have announced this year’s Iberdrola Scholarship Program for Energy and Environment Postgraduate Studies in the U.S. recipients. The following students will receive more than $300,000 in total for graduate studies in Maine or New York for the 2013/2014 academic year.
University of Maine – Orono, ME
- Mathew Fowler – Bangor, Maine – Master’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering – offshore wind platforms (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation.)
- Javier Moreno DeSalas – Madrid, Spain – Master’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering – offshore wind platforms (Funded by Fundacion Iberdrola.)
University of Rochester – Rochester, NY
- Samuel Steven – Rochester, New York – Master’s of Science in Engineering – Optics and Technical Entrepreneurship and Management (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation.)
- Samuel Sowden Garcia – Madrid, Spain – Master’s of Science in Engineering – Alternative Energy (Funded by Scottish Power)
- Jose Alberto Medina Jimena – Ubeda, SPAIN – Master’s of Science in Engineering – Alternative Energy (Funded by Fundacion Iberdrola.)
“Iberdrola and Iberdrola USA believe it’s our duty to help identify and develop the next generation of renewable energy leaders,” said Bob Kump, CEO of Iberdrola USA. “This scholarship program is another page in our long history of environmental stewardship and concern for the future of the planet. We’re very proud of these scholars and wish them much success.”
Global energy leader, Iberdrola S.A., established the scholarship program in 2010 to support graduate studies in renewable energy, environmental protection, climate change and energy efficiency. Each grant covers the full cost of enrollment plus a stipend. The foundations have awarded more than 260 scholarships to students around the world since the program began.
“Satisfying the steadily increasing worldwide demand for energy is a critical concern in today’s society. By focusing on renewable energy and environmental responsibility, Iberdrola is championing a new generation of students who hold environmental stewardship as a fundamental tenet and I am very proud to be among those selected to receive this honor,” said Mathew Fowler.
“I am honored and thankful for this great opportunity to continue my education in marine renewable energies – subjects I am not only passionate about but know will help improve the quality of life for many in the future,” said Javier Moreno DeSalas.
“The Iberdrola fellowship is providing me the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in energy technology with the intent to research, develop, and implement novel green technologies in their most applicable markets and environments,” said Samuel Steven.
“I am very grateful to Iberdrola for this incredibly exciting opportunity. I have always wanted to study in the USA, and I look forward to contributing to the search for a viable energy future,” said Samuel Sowden García.
“Energy caught my eye when I was a kid. The possibility of transforming natural sources into something useful for humankind has always been my passion. I feel very happy to have received this scholarship and I cannot wait to make my contribution for a better world,” said Jose Alberto Medina Jimena.
Press release, August 7, 2013