MSC Esthi Opens 1st Phase of Hamad Terminal
The 14,000 TEUs containership MSC Esthi marked the official opening of the Hamad Port Container Terminal 1 as it was the first vessel which sailed into the port on December 1, according to the Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC).
The occasion marked the completion of the first phase of Qatar’s USD 7.8 billion port, which will initially see a capacity of 2 million TEU.
Container Terminal 2 and 3, scheduled for completion by 2020, will lead to a collective capacity of 6 million TEUs, and an overall area coverage of some 20 square kilometers.
The opening ceremony was held only days after marine transport and logistics conglomerate Qatar Navigation (Milaha) and Qatar Ports Management Company (Mwani Qatar) signed an agreement to establish a new company QTerminals to manage Hamad Port.
Mwani Qatar will hold 51 percent, while Milaha will hold the remaining 49 percent in QTerminals, which will manage operations at Hamad Port as an independent company.
Hamad Port will include a customs inspection area, a port Control Tower at a height of 110 meters, a ship inspection platform and multiple maritime facilities, and other utilities.