Nakilat Adds Four LNG Carriers to New Joint Venture
Qatar-based Nakilat has established a new joint venture with shipping company Maran Ventures, expanding its fleet to 74 vessels.
Under the deal, Nakilat would hold a 60% stake in the JV, while Maran Ventures will have the remaining 40%.
With 4 LNG vessels managed and marketed by Nakilat under the new JV, the company’s fleet will increase to 74, representing 11.2% of the global LNG fleet in carrying capacity.
Currently under construction in South Korea, the four vessels each have a cargo carrying capacity of 173,400 cbm. They are equipped with some of the most advanced technology in the market today, with two of them featuring ME-GI, and the other two X-DF propulsion systems.
“This agreement is a step forward for the company as we expand our fleet with additional capacity to meet the growing international demand for clean energy. This has subsequently led to a significant increase in demand for LNG shipping, which we hope will have a positive effect on charter rates,” Abdullah Al Sulaiti, Nakilat’s Chief Executive Officer, said.