Oasis of the Seas: 3 Sailings Cancelled after Crane Incident
Royal Caribbean has cancelled three sailings on board the cruise ship Oasis of the Seas following a dry dock crane incident.
According to a company statement, in order to complete the interrupted dry dock of Oasis of the Seas, the sailings scheduled to for April 7, April 14, and April 21 have been cancelled.
“Guests on the three sailings will receive full refunds, as well as full credit toward a future cruise,” Royal Caribbean said.
Oasis of the Seas was hit by a large crane that collapsed onto the ship in a floating dry dock at the Grand Bahama Shipyard on April 1, injuring eight construction workers.
Royal Caribbean earlier said that there is damage to the dock structure and to construction cranes, while the company was assessing damage to the 225,000-tonne ship.
Oasis of the Seas will head from the Grand Bahama shipyard to be serviced at facilities in Cadiz, Spain. It will then resume its scheduled itineraries, beginning with the May 5 sailing from Barcelona.
The Bahamas Maritime Authority (BMA) will conduct a marine safety investigation as both the floating dock and the passenger vessel are registered with the BMA, Bahamas Minister of Transport and Local Government, Renward Wells, confirmed last week.
World Maritime News Staff