Operation to refloat grounded Transocean rig ‘making steady progress’
UK’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) reported on Wednesday that the salvors were continuing to look at possible re-flotation and fuel transfer options on the Transocean Winner drilling rig, which is currently grounded off the Isle of Lewis.
The MCA said that the helicopter, that is now based in Stornoway to support the operation, completed three trips on Wednesday and transferred additional salvage equipment to those on board.
So far, it is estimated that over 200 people are responding to the incident from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Transocean, Smit Salvage and Briggs Environmental, the agency reported.
The 300m exclusion zone covering the sea and the exclusion zone covering the air (temporary), set up earlier this week, remains in place – any aircraft pilot or drone operator not involved in the operation that breaches that zone will be prosecuted, the MCA reminded.
Hugh Shaw, the Secretary of State’s Representative (SOSREP) for Maritime Salvage & Intervention said: “Work is ongoing and we are making steady progress, this is due to the response from all involved. We fully appreciate the support that we have been getting from the local community and its leaders, as well as all those who live and work on the island.”
BBC reported that representatives from the offshore driller that owns the rig are due to meet with the residents of the area, where the rig was blown ashore, on Thursday night. The news agency said that Shaw, as well as staff from the salvage company Smit, are also expected to attend the meeting.