PHOTO: Shell’s Appomattox hull on its way to U.S.

Oil giant Shell on Tuesday shared an image through its social media channels of the Appomattox hull being loaded on a heavy lift and transportation vessel in Geoje, South Korea before heading to the U.S. 

Prior to its departure, the hull was loaded onto Cosco’s  heavy lifter Xin Guang Hua. According to Shell’s Tuesday update, the completed hull is now heading to the U.S. for the next phase of construction. The next phase entails the hull’s integration with the topsides.

According to the latest AIS data, the heavy lifter is currently located in the South China Sea. The vessel’s estimated arrival time to Corpus Christi, Texas is October 1.

Once completed, the Appomattox platform will be installed at Shell’s Appomattox field in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. The final investment decision for the project was made back in July 2015.

The Appomattox project will consist of a semi-submersible, four-column production host platform, a subsea system featuring six drill centers, 15 producing wells, and five water injection wells. The platform will be moored in approximately 7,200 feet (2,195 meters) of water.

The development will initially produce from the Appomattox and Vicksburg fields, with average peak production estimated to reach approximately 175,000 barrels of oil equivalent (boe) per day.

Shell has a 79 percent interest in the Appomattox and Vicksburg fields with Nexen Petroleum Offshore U.S.A. Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, as its partner with the remaining 21% interest.

Offshore Energy Today Staff

Related news

List of related news articles