TotalEnergies partners with QatarEnergy on North Field South LNG project

Qatar’s state-owned oil and gas company QatarEnergy has selected French energy major TotalEnergies as the first international partner in the North Field South (NFS) liquefied natural gas (LNG) project.

Courtesy of QatarEnergy
Courtesy of QatarEnergy

Pursuant to the agreement, TotalEnergies will obtain a 9.375% participating interest in the 16 million ton per annum (Mtpa) NFS project – out of a total 25% interest available for international partners – while QatarEnergy will hold the remaining 75%.

The agreement follows TotalEnergies’ selection as the first partner for the 32 Mtpa North Field East (NFE) LNG project.

By combining participating interests in NFE and NFS, TotalEnergies will add 3.5 Mtpa of LNG production to its worldwide LNG portfolio by 2028, in line with its goal to increase the share of natural gas in its sales mix to 50% by 2030.

Related Article

Patrick Pouyanné, chairman and CEO of TotalEnergies, said: “Following North Field East, we are truly honoured and proud that Qatar has once again chosen TotalEnergies to be QatarEnergy’s first partner in North Field South.

“… We consider Qatar as a long-term strategic country for TotalEnergies and this latest addition to our portfolio marks an important step toward our low-carbon LNG growth objectives, a key pillar of TotalEnergies’ transformation into a sustainable multi-energy company. It will also further strengthen our ability, together with Qatar, to support Europe’s energy security.”

Together, NFE and NFS form the wider North Field Expansion project to increase LNG production from the North Field, adding 48 Mtpa to Qatar’s export capacity and bringing it to 126 Mtpa by 2028.

The upstream part of the project will develop the southern area of the North Field with five platforms, 50 wells and gas pipelines to the onshore processing plant. Downstream, there will be two 8 Mtpa liquefaction trains.

NFS will benefit from significant synergies with NFE, making it one of the most cost-competitive LNG projects worldwide, the developers said.

As explained, NFS will apply the highest standards to reduce its GHG emissions intensity. Native CO2 from natural gas production will be captured and sequestered, and the plant will be connected to Qatar’s electrical grid, which will supply it with a growing portion of renewable electricity – in line with Qatar’s climate ambitions – thanks to the 800 MW Al Kharsaah solar power plant project, in which TotalEnergies is a partner, and QatarEnergy’s new solar power plant currently under construction in Ras Laffan with TotalEnergies’ support.

Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, the Minister of State for Energy Affairs, the president and CEO of QatarEnergy, said: “QatarEnergy is moving forward, with the support of our partners, to help meet growing global demand for cleaner energy, of which LNG is the backbone for a serious and realistic energy transition.”

Follow Offshore Energy’s Clean Fuel on social media: