Scarabeo 8 rig; Source: Vår Energi

Two North Sea wells on Aker BP’s drilling agenda

Norwegian oil and gas player Aker BP has received consent from Norway’s offshore safety regulator for exploration drilling in the North Sea off Norway, which will be carried out using one of Saipem’s semi-submersible rigs.

Scarabeo 8 rig; Source: Vår Energi

The Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) recently gave Aker BP consent for exploration drilling in block 25/2 in the North Sea. The prospect, Frigg Gamma Delta geopilot, is located in production licence 442, which was awarded on 16 June 2007 and is valid until 15 June 2027.

Aker BP is the operator of the licence with an ownership interest of 87.7 per cent, while its partner, PGNiG Upstream Norway, holds the remaining 12.3 per cent interest. The water depth at the location is around 120 metres and the drilling operations for the wells 25/2-25 A and S will be carried out with the Scarabeo 8 semi-submersible rig, which was hired on a three-year deal, worth $325 million, in March 2022.

Scarabeo 8 is a sixth-generation dual derrick deepwater semi-submersible drilling rig capable of working in harsh environments with a dynamic positioning system and enhanced mooring capabilities. This rig can accommodate 140 people and its maximum drilling depth is 35,000 ft.