UK: Navitus Bay Opponents Welcome Government Subsidy Reduction
Following the announcement made by the Chancellor George Osborne on cutting the government subsidies for onshore wind farms for 25 percent, opponents of the Navitus Bay project welcomed it with a great expectation on extending this move to offshore plans.
Dorset MPs, including Chris Chope and Richard Drax, have urged the government earlier this year to reconsider its support for wind farms, says the Bournemouth Daily Echo.
“I am very pleased and obviously if the subsidies for onshore are deemed to be too large, the subsidies for offshore are even less justified,” Chris Chope commented.
“The Chancellor is right to do this – a bit late in the day, but he is right.”
Challenge Navitus spokesman David Lloyd said: “There are a lot of people that are concerned about the level of subsidies and if they are reduced then potentially the economical element becomes more of a factor,” pointing out that the group welcomes anything that increases company’s expenses.
Offshore WIND staff, June 7, 2012