US Salvors to Remove Pieces of Rena Wreck
American company Resolve has been selected for reducing the size of the bow of Rena, a 236-metre-long Liberian-flagged cargo vessel, which ran aground on Astrolabe reef on October 5 last year, and broke up in January this year.
The announcement on the appointment was made by Konstantinos Zacharatos, on behalf of the Rena’s Greece based owners, amid a visit to Motiti Island today, Stuff reports.
“The appointment of Resolve is the next important step in dealing with the issues arising from this regrettable incident,” Mr. Zacharatos said.
Based on Resolve’s plans to remove the wreck, that caused an environmental disaster in the area, the bow will be cut in smaller segments which will subsequently be lifted and removed from the site by helicopters.
While commenting on the plan and its potential challenges Captain John Owen, senior claims manager with Rena insurer The Swedish Club, explained that the location is very difficult and that it might pose certain dangers for conducting the salvage operation.
The work is expected to begin in the following couple of weeks.
The oil spill and smashed containers from the mishap have inflicted considerable damage to the tiny island, situated in the vicinity of the wreck site.
Until now, the clean-up operation has cost the owners USD 200 million, whereas the next stage of the operation will total in USD 50 million, a spokesperson for Rena’s owners and insurers said.
Based on the North South Environmental Law in Auckland, assisted by Holland Beckett Lawyers in Tauranga, there are 150 claimants affected by the Rena grounding, and even more are expected to be identified in the upcoming weeks, New Zealand Herald writes.
Within the framework of a number of meetings with Maori and officials and representatives from the Bay of Plenty, Zacharatos apologized on Monday for the unfortunate accident.
World Maritime News Staff, July 25, 2012; Image: Maritime NZ