Aker BP gains consent to use Odfjell rig for Nidhogg well

Norwegian E&P player Aker BP has received consent from the offshore safety body, the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA), for exploration drilling in the Norwegian Sea using the Deepsea Nordkapp rig.

Odfjell Deepsea Nordkapp; Source: Odfjell Drilling
Odfjell Deepsea Nordkapp; Source: Odfjell Drilling

The well, designated 6506/5-1 S, is located in production license 1008 in the Norwegian Sea, where Aker BP is the operator.

Aker BP has a 60 percent interest in the license, while its partner Wellesley Petroleum holds the remaining 40 percent interest.

The well was given the prospect name of Nidhogg, located around 47 kilometers north of Asgard B and 52 kilometers southwest of Skarv in a water depth of 442 meters.

According to the PSA, the work is scheduled to begin in November/December 2019 and is expected to last for 27 days.

The well will be drilled using the Deepsea Nordkapp drilling rig, which is a semi-submersible facility of the Moss Maritime CS 60E type owned and operated by Odfjell Drilling.

The rig was issued with an Acknowledgement of Compliance (AoC) by the PSA in April 2019.

The Deepsea Nordkapp was involved in the recently completed drilling campaign on OKEA’s Draugen field off Norway.

Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email.

Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.