KrisEnergy brings Thai field back online following tropical storm

Oil and gas company KrisEnergy has restarted production at the Wassana field located in the G10/48 license in the Gulf of Thailand.

G10/48 map; Source: KrisEnergy

KrisEnergy said on Tuesday that it had restarted production on the Wassana field following the tropical storm Pabuk.

The company added that operational crews returned to the mobile offshore production unit, and the Rubicon Venture floating, storage and offloading (FSO) vessel was reconnected to the Wassana field mooring. Also, the Mist jack-up rig resumed the Wassana infill drilling program.

To remind, all crew from the Wassana mobile offshore production unit and Mist jack-up rig were safely evacuated to onshore Thailand on January 3 while the Rubicon Venture FSO was moved to a safe haven.

The Borr Drilling-owned Mist rig was at the Wassana production area to drill three firm infill development wells plus one contingent well.

The G10/48 contract area covers 1,525 sq. kilometers over the Southern Pattani Basin in water depths of up to 60 meters. KrisEnergy is the operator of the area with an 89% working interest. Palang Sophon Limited holds the remaining 11%.

It is worth noting that KrisEnergy was not the only company which had to suspend operations due to the Pabuk tropical storm.

Oil company PTTEP in early January had suspended operations and removed staff from the Greater Bongkot North and Greater Bongkot South offshore production platforms which were in the direct path of the storm, the largest storm in 30 years outside the monsoon season.

PTTEP did continue production at the Arthit platform under safety measures to minimize impacts on the natural gas supply to the country.

Production is now returning to normal on PTTEP’s platforms following the passing of the storm.