Tambar production period extended by ten years, Aker BP says
- Project & Tenders
Aker BP-operated Tambar re-development project in the North Sea off Norway has now been approved. The re-development will consist of two additional wells and gas lift.
Aker BP has a 55% interest in the field while the remaining 45% is held by Faroe Petroleum. The Tambar unmanned wellhead platform is located 16 kilometer southeast of Ula, from which it is remotely controlled.
The operator said on Thursday that the re-development of Tambar extends the production period from about 2018 to 2028 with a potential upside.
According to the company, around NOK 1.7 billion ($199.3M) will be invested targeting gross reserves of 27 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe), Aker BP’s share is 15 million boe. The expectation is that this will give 4-6000 new barrels a day over several years.
“It was 4D seismic in 2014 that made us safer on the resources of the field’s northern area and thus laid the foundation for two wells from originally,” says Evy Thorbjörnsen, Ula Asset Integration Manager who will lead Tambar project.
The drilling rig Maersk Interceptor will drill the two wells starting in 4Q this year. Drilling will also test the oil-water contact in the northern part of the Tambar field which will contribute to increased understanding of Tambar reservoir.
Thorbjörnsen further said: “The Tambar development is a robust project which has a breakeven under USD 20 per barrel. The two-infill wells will use the two remaining drill slots on Tambar platform and we are reusing UGIP- pipeline for gas lift from Ula. In addition to the two wells, the project includes modifications on both Tambar platform and Ula’s production platform.
“The changes include piping and equipment for measurement and transport of lift gas, upgrading of support systems on Tambar, scope of work for the rig intake, connection of flowlines for the new wells and installation of a conductor guide structure under the platform. The UGIP pipeline will be modified to terminate at the Tambar platform. During the implementation, construction personnel will stay on the drilling rig used to drill the infill wells on the Tambar field.”
The project team consists of personnel from various functions and disciplines within the organization, and requires close and integration of the various activities.
The project has a tight schedule and production from the new wells is scheduled to start in the first half of 2018, depending on when the rig arrives on the field.