Photo: Hod platform; Source: Aker BP

Aker BP picks PG Flow pump systems for new Hod platform

Norwegian oil and gas company Aker BP has awarded PG Flow Solutions a contract to supply several pump systems for the normally unmanned wellhead platform to be used at the planned Hod field development in the North Sea.

PG Flow Solutions said on Wednesday that Aker BP awarded the contract on behalf of the Wellhead Platform Alliance which consists of Aker BP, Kvaerner, ABB, and Aker Solutions.

The contract award follows an agreement between a broad political majority in Norway to make temporary changes to the Norwegian petroleum tax system.

As it stands, the Hod development in the Valhall area is Aker BP’s first project to be launched as a direct result of the tax changes.

Steve Paulsen, CEO of PG Flow Solutions, stated: “It is reassuring to see that operators stay true to their word and initiate projects that were put on hold as a consequence of the extraordinary negative effects caused by the COVID-19 outbreak”.

The planned wellhead platform, named “Hod B”, is the second project by the Wellhead Platform Alliance. The alliance’s first project was the Valhall Flank West field development and its normally unmanned wellhead platform. It came on stream in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Deal identical to Valhall Flank West

Under the deal with Aker BP, PG Flow Solutions will deliver miscellaneous pumps to the platform topside, including a pressure equalising pump, freshwater pump, freshwater pressure pump, diesel transfer pump, and one hazardous open-drain pump.

The company did not disclose the value of the contract, which is subject to government approval of the plan for development and operations (PDO). The work will be managed from a facility in Sande, Norway.

The contract is almost identical to the pump system delivery that PG Flow Solutions made to Aker BP for the Valhall Flank West in 2018.

Mark Tuinman, sales manager for energy at PG Flow, said: “Re-using already proven solutions and development plans reduce costs and risks for both suppliers and the operator. We are therefore very comfortable with the scope of work and delivery schedule indicated for the Hod platform too”.

The new Hod platform concept is a copy of the Valhall Flank West platform design, with minor changes to functional requirements and some changes resulting from lessons learned from the Valhall Flank West design, commissioning, and handover phases.

Aker BP Hod platform illustration; Source: Kvaerner
Aker BP’s Hod platform illustration; Source: Kvaerner

Hod field

As for the field itself, Hod was discovered in 1974 and started production in 1990 as a tie back to the Valhall Central Complex, producing via a wellhead platform until 2013.

The new Hod normally unmanned platform will also be tied-back to and remotely controlled from Valhall.  

The Hod field is located in Block 2/11 in the southern part of the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, some twelve kilometres south of Valhall and six kilometres south of the Valhall Flank South platform.

The operator is Aker BP AS, holding 90 per cent working interests with Pandion Energy as the sole partner holding the remaining 10 per cent.

To remind, Aker BP awarded Kvaerner a contract last week for the delivery of the topside and steel substructure for the Hod B platform.

Related news

List of related news articles