Hyperdynamics’ Seismic Survey Offshore Guinea Kicks Off

Hyperdynamic's Seismic Survey Offshore Guinea Kicks Off

Hyperdynamics today announced the start of its deep water 3D seismic survey offshore the Republic of Guinea.  Utilizing  on of the one of the most powerful and high-capacity vessels in the world, seismic survey vessel Oceanic Endeavour, seismic major CGGVeritas, will acquire 3D seismic information in a deep water region that roughly covers 4,000 square kilometers in Hyperdynamics’ oil and gas concession offshore Guinea in West Africa.

The Oceanic Endeavour is is a seismic streamer vessel, which can tow to 16 streamers, and 8 gunstrings. It can take crew of 70 persons.

Following the completion of the seismic data gathering phase in the project, CGGVeritas will also conduct data processing.

The survey region is located just southwest of and adjacent to the three dimensional survey acquired by Hyperdynamics in 2010. The main objective of this particular seismic data acquisition project is to explore several possible deep water submarine fans within the equatorial Atlantic margin that were detected by  a 2D seismic shooting acquired in 2009.

“The deep water 3D survey will utilize CGGVeritas’ BroadSeis broadband solution, which is expected provide a clearer and more detailed image of the subsurface. This 3D survey is a critical next step in our ongoing Guinea exploration campaign, one that should further de-risk our acreage and help us identify the most promising deep water locations for future drilling.” said Ray Leonard, Hyperdynamics CEO.

Hyperdynamics is the operator of the Guinea Concession owning a 77%  participating interest. The remaining 23 % is held by KNOC’s subsidiary, Dana Petroleum. The Guinea licence is one of the largest exploration areas offshore West Africa and covers approximately 25.000 square kilometers.

[mappress]
Source: OET Staff, November 14, 2011; Image: Volstad

Related news

List of related news articles