KrisEnergy kicks off Thai drilling campaign

KrisEnergy, an independent oil and gas company, has started drilling the East Mayura-1 exploration well in the G10/48 contract area in the Gulf of Thailand. 

The PV Drilling I jack-up drilling rig started drilling the exploration well in the G10/48 contract area on Friday, October 20, 2017. The oil company hired the rig owned by Petrovietnam Drilling & Well Service Corporation back in late August.

KrisEnergy said on Friday that the East Mayura-1 is the first well in a potential eight-well program, including five firm wells plus one optional well in the existing Wassana oil field in G10/48 and one optional exploration well in the Wassana satellite development area north of the Wassana production area. The campaign is expected to take approximately 125 days, including the optional wells, the company further stated.

KrisEnergy is the operator of G10/48 and holds 89% working interest. Palang Sophon Limited holds the remaining 11%.

The G10/48 contract area covers 1,677 sq. km over the Southern Pattani Basin in water depths of up to 60 metres. In addition to the Wassana oil field, which came on stream in August 2015, the concession contains the Niramai, Mayura and Rayrai oil discoveries.

The Gulf of Thailand is a core operational area for KrisEnergy where the company has non-operated working interests in the B8/32, B9A and G11/48 producing blocks and is the operator of G10/48 and G6/48, which contains the Rossukon oil discovery. The company also operates Block A across the maritime border in Cambodian waters, where it is seeking to develop the Apsara oil field.

In related news, KrisEnergy on Friday made a final investment decision (FID) to proceed with the first phase of development for the Apsara oil field, the first hydrocarbon development project in Cambodia.

Related news

List of related news articles