U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for missing liftboat crew
After over seven days of search efforts for the missing crew members of the capsized Seacor Marine-owned liftboat in the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Coast Guard has suspended the search.
As previously reported, the Seacor Power liftboat capsized in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, 13 April. The liftboat was carrying a crew of 19 members.
Following the incident, the Coast Guard and good Samaritan vessels rescued six people and have been conducting searching efforts for a dozen missing people.
According to the latest information, eight crew members remain missing, which means that five bodies have been recovered from the sea.
The Coast Guard said in an update on Monday it is suspending its search for the remaining eight missing liftboat crewmembers 8 miles south of Port Fourchon.
Coast Guard boat and aircrews, local agency crews and good Samaritans searched for a cumulative 175 hours, covering over 9,200 square nautical miles.
“We extend our appreciation to everyone who volunteered to assist during the search effort. Suspending a search is one of the toughest decisions the Coast Guard has to make”, said Capt. Will Watson, commander of Coast Guard’s Sector New Orleans.
“Our crews searched continuously over the past six days with the hope of bringing the missing crewmembers home to their loved ones. I would like to extend my deepest and most sincere condolences to the families, friends and loved ones–all those impacted by this terrible tragedy. I know that this is an immensely difficult time for you all, and for the entire maritime community”.
Seacor Marine has established an information center for media inquiries related to dive and salvage operations.