Cygnus; Source: HPR UK Neptune Energy

Neptune Energy and Eserv team up to digitise Cygnus platform

Oil and gas company Neptune Energy has entered into a partnership with 3D technology specialist Eserv as part of the ongoing digitalisation of its assets including its operated Cygnus gas platform in the UK southern North Sea.

Cygnus; Source: HPR UK

Neptune said on Tuesday that a digital map of all three bridge-linked jackets was captured using 3D and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies enabling the company to detect asset integrity issues early and plan fabric maintenance work on Cygnus.

According to the company, engineers and integrity experts now have the opportunity to carry out a significant amount of their traditional work from onshore, reducing the cost and environmental impacts associated with travelling offshore.

The energy firm added that the partnership with Eserv was part of the first phase of Neptune Energy’s strategy to “digitise” its assets and processes and enables remote subject matter expert advice for offshore personnel, and virtual visual inspections and site surveys.

Neptune’s UK managing director Alexandra Thomas said: “We are excited to be early adopters of such innovative technologies which can enhance the efficiency and safety of our operations, reduce costs and offshore travel, and enable greater collaboration between our onshore and offshore teams.

The use of digital technologies is particularly valuable at this time, given restrictions on travel and the necessity for social distancing offshore”.

The digital mapping of the Cygnus gas production platform, which is capable of producing approximately 6 per cent of UK domestic gas demand, is one element of the partnership with Aberdeen-based Eserv.

As part of an ongoing digital transition, onshore teams can take a virtual “walkthrough” of the entire platform, plan work and monitor changes in the physical structure, identifying potential issues early and accurately.

View on Vimeo.

The AI element of the technology is being “trained” to identify thousands of individual components, valves and other plant equipment, and is “learning” how to spot potential integrity issues including corrosion.

Eserv’s managing director Dan Millard said: “Although remote and digital data solutions have come into their own this year due to travel and logistical restrictions, we have been advancing advocates of using 3D data to revolutionise the offshore maintenance and asset integrity space for a number of years now.

[…] it’s really gratifying for us to collaborate with a highly innovative and progressive operator such as Neptune Energy, supporting them to derive the benefits of this transformative platform: enhanced safety and efficiency, and reduced costs and environmental impact”.

It is worth noting that Neptune Energy is the operator of the Cygnus facility with a 38.75 per cent stake while its partner Spirit Energy holds the remaining 61.25 per cent.

To remind, Neptune already started its digitisation plans with a subsurface program with the aim of discovering hydrocarbons 70 per cent faster.