Power Failure Shuts Down Goliat

Eni Norge informed that production from the Goliat FPSO was stopped following a power outage on Friday evening, August 26.

The Goliat is located in production licence 229, 85 kilometers northwest of Hammerfest in the Barents Sea offshore Norway.

The field, which started production in March this year, is supplied with hydro-generated electricity from the mainland by means of a subsea cable, with aim to cut down CO2 emissions by 50% set side by side to other solutions.

According to Eni, the power returned a few hours later, however, non essential personnel was evacuated to Hammerfest by a helicopter. Reportedly, the crew arrived back to the FPSO the following day.

There is no official statement on what caused the power failure.

Production at Goliat is facilitated using a subsea system consisting of twelve production wells, seven water injectors and three gas injectors. Eni is the operator of the field with 65 percent stake, while Statoil holds the remaining 35 percent.

Update August 29, 2016: The Petroleum Safety Authority Norway has ordered Eni to identify and implement necessary measures following the incident in order to achieve compliance with health, safety and environmental legislation. A plan for the work of identifying and implementing measures is to be presented to the PSA by September 5, 2016.

Subsea World News Staff