Illustration; Source: SLB

SLB and TotalEnergies forge ten-year partnership to enhance digital energy solutions

American oilfield services company SLB and France’s energy giant TotalEnergies have united in a ten-year partnership to co-develop scalable digital solutions aimed at enhancing access to energy resources, with improved performance and efficiency.

Illustration; Source: SLB

The partnership sets a flexible framework for the companies to collaborate on challenges in the energy value chain, including carbon capture, utilization, and sequestration (CCUS).

According to SLB, the companies will integrate advanced digital capabilities, including artificial intelligence (AI), with new and existing applications on SLB’s Delfi platform, following the Open Group’s OSDU technical standard. 

The two companies will combine their digital and domain expertise to speed up the development and deployment of scalable digital solutions, benefiting TotalEnergies’ global operations and SLB’s customers worldwide.

“Collaboration and knowledge sharing are key for our industry to continuously develop more effective ways of unlocking energy access,” said Rakesh Jaggi, President of SLB’s Digital & Integration business. 

“With this visionary partnership, we’re combining the know-how and expertise of both companies to accelerate the delivery of new digital capabilities that will benefit the whole industry.”

The partnership will first focus on subsurface digital solutions for reservoir engineering and geoscience modeling and interpretation, using Delfi on-demand reservoir simulation (ODRS), said SLB. AI and real-world insights from both companies will be used to speed up and automate these processes.

“Through this digital partnership we will develop cutting-edge next-generation software, digital applications and new algorithms applied to geoscience. Thanks to these innovative modeling technologies, we will not only be better able to utilize the analyses of geological reservoirs and basins in the Oil & Gas sector to reduce emissions but also to make further progress in geological carbon storage,” said Namita Shah, President of OneTech at TotalEnergies.

In mid-June SLB announced it had completed its joint venture with Norwegian pure-play carbon capture company Aker Carbon Capture (ACC) as part of which it purchased 80% of Aker Carbon Capture Holding AS (ACCH), which holds the business of ACC, with ACC maintaining ownership of the remaining 20% of the shares in ACCH.

The new company, headquartered in Oslo, combines technology portfolios, expertise, and operations platforms to support accelerated carbon capture adoption for industrial decarbonization at scale.

Related Article